This is an exercise in memory


Late winter and early spring brought along with them hours on the commute to work. I caved in and started listening to true crime podcasts. No wait. I started devouring them. It began with The Trojan Horse Affair, which I came across randomly, moved onto The Dropout, and then I discovered The Disappearance of Nuseiba Hasan. While listening to that last one, I wiped many a hidden tear on public transport. I also came across something more closer to home, Notes on a Scandal. I spent a couple of weekends just listening to episode upon episode in the 14m2 confines of my bedroom. There was also Suspect which left me with no closure. And of course, in between, when I got tired of all the dark tales, I would turn to my regular shows like Modern Love, This American Life, The Moth, or a trusty episode from WTF with Marc Maron. While the books on my shelf remain untouched, I consumed information through my headphones.

Often, when people ask me about the shows I've watched lately, I find it difficult to recall. I watch so many shows in a week, I tell them, I can't remember anything. And it's the darn truth. I can't. I try and try but my brain doesn't budge. So I thought I should start writing things down, and hence this.

Comments