One of those days.


I'm growing old(er). There's no other way of saying that. All my friends and colleagues are too and each one of us is at the stage of life where we decide which direction we want to take in the future for the rest of our years to come. Every few days, or few weeks, or so, I am struck by the reality of it all. Today is one of those days.

I feel overwhelmed by the important decisions that are in store for me in the near future. But I also know that I'm not the first one and that millions, if not billions, of other people have gone through the same phase and it's very much a part of life as is anything else. At some point, decision-making starts to come naturally to you. Today is not one of those days.

I want to add that I very much enjoy being an adult, having responsibility for my own being and not relying on anyone else to do either complex or basic things for me. I always look towards the future with hope and good wishes. But as my biological clock ticks, I feel a sense of dread and anticipation. Why must I feel so? What does age even have to do with anything?

We are tied so tightly to what we term our (backward) societal "norms" that it's difficult to shrug them off regardless of how educated we get. I'm very aware that these notions are not shared globally but, at the same time, I have had friends and acquaintances from other cultures talk to me about the chronological order of being. It's not a good feeling.

But it's one of those days. One of these days passes, just like any other day. A new morning arises. I find hope and newfound motivation to charge forward in this life of mine. For now, I'll sulk and wallow in my needless anticipation — knowing that it's going to go away soon enough. I will wake up to a better day. I will find my strength again.

Comments