Can you pass the salt, please?


The back of my head needs a good trim, maybe a shave. It's been three months since I donated 15 long inches of my hair –– hair that I don't really miss –– and I think it's time to look sharp again. Almost quite literally. Maybe it'll help me feel more focused because I have four tabs open right now that need my attention but I'm here, typing away on the fifth tab. I guess that says something about me or what I'd like to be doing instead. (Update: I later switched to the other tabs that needed my attention, so I'm golden.)

This week, we've been celebrating Thanksgiving, my first ever. I expected it to be like any other holiday and it's been anything but. It's special being a part of other people's lives, sitting together (or standing) and sharing our meals. I've gotten the chance to meet so many new people and possibly make some new friends who I think I'd very much like to cook for. Well. Back to making friends as a 30-something, aren't we? It's rough out there but I've learnt you have to go into it with an open mind and candidness. I think we qualify to be honest after spending three decades through some of the most turbulent of times in this planet's history. My no-go? Expensive outings. I'm not going to lie and pretend like I can manage those –– I can't. Maybe someday but right now, I'm prioritizing building a cozy nest and all my twigs go there. I'm okay with a coffee or a little lunch here and there. I'm most comfortable cooking for you myself. And we can go to all the free/cheap museums and parks gladly. But anything else makes me feel very very guilty.

I feel like these days, I take days to work on a simple blog post, this one included. There have also been times when I have added to my posts incrementally over the span of a week. At least I'm getting something out, I tell myself. It's not like anyone's sitting on the edge of their seats anyway to read my mundane updates. Speaking of which, I subjected my husband to a pop quiz about my blog yesterday and learnt that he does read it regularly, and that it especially makes for a good reading when occupied in the loo. Ha. I've heard people say worse about actual published books but this one is a compliment methinks. You'd know if you knew him.

I was a dumdum yesterday and forgot to grab some dairy when we were by the grocery store –– so I have to drag my sorry ass outside again. I'm making a cake for another dinner we're going to tonight. One of the things I picked up on immediately after getting married was that you never go to someone's house empty-handed. And I also just generally like showing up with something I've made myself. So there'll be some cake later during the day. Also, what's the deal with unsalted butter?! I'm always down for some extra salt, even in my desserts. Give us more of that, please.

Comments