Baby's day out

    
 
Last weekend, I finally amassed enough willpower to step outside my room and go out into the big, big world. I wasn't sure what weather to expect so I took along an umbrella, my sunglasses, lots of water and the book my husband lent to me. I ended up staying out for about four hours, walking a lot, soaking the sun, touching actual grass and eating a pizza by myself near the river. I won't sugar-coat it: hanging out with yourself can get very uncomfortable, especially if there are groups of people around you who've apparently had no trouble at all making friends. So I usually equip myself with things that keep me from crawling out of my own skin. This time, I put my earphones in and listened to Maron interview Dave Chang. And all was well in my world.

It's been an exhausting week and a half. I feel like I say this every week, followed by "and it's not over yet". But it's the truth. I'm trying to wind down by going on an 80s romcom marathon, sometimes briefly interrupted by some of the newer stuff out there. Also, keeping up with the spirit of 2022 i.e. living a "smaller" life, if not minimalist, I've been digging into my things, taking out more stuff to give away. I never knew I owned so much stuff before June this year. There's a lot I can live without hoarding because I honestly haven't touched it in ages.

Also this week, my landlady gave me belated birthday flowers from her garden. That was kind of nice even though the flowers are crawling with all kinds of bugs. I didn't care much for the others but did take a ladybug back to the garden in tupperware. Called dad twice — that was also nice. Kept in touch with the brothers because a sister's job never ends. Made that risotto I've been dreaming of since 2016, believe it or not, and it was easier than I imagined all these years. Things have a funny way of working out if you're brave enough to take that first step.

That's all.

Comments