Unfazed

 

This morning we examined our money tree and deduced that it's been doing well in the new spring sunshine. We saw some new shoots growing amid the decayed older leaves and felt hopeful; there's still a lot of life (and health) in our plant. My avocado seed has also sprouted a root in the first rays of spring. Things are looking good in our plantverse.

My crew cut has grown out and I have a mullet that looks like spider plant tendrils, which I don't mind. I wanted this hair back. Sure, it was given away for a noble cause but I think my time is up – until the year my hair is long enough to be given away again, it'll probably be a bit white. Yes, I recently pulled out a very white hair from my head, as white as a snowflake. But also, I really miss the long braid which I had gotten quite accustomed to. It meant less hair washes and more no-fuss days. Short hair is really just a pain to keep.

The last thing I cooked were eggplants in tomatoes. And that made me wonder... since when did we start calling brinjals aubergines and then eggplants?! I grew up calling them brinjals and I don't like the fact that nobody knows what I'm talking about when I use that word nowadays. Anyway, the brinjals were had for lunch with some fish fingers and chapati. I saved a bit to snack on later with perhaps a boiled egg. It's important for me to have something snackish ready to be devoured when the time calls for it. Which also reminds me I was googling "cold lunch recipes" earlier today and it seems like the season of elaborate salads is fast approaching, so I need to prepare for it.

What have I read recently? Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus and I'm also trying to finish Sara Suleri's Meatless Days. I have American Fever by Dur e Aziz Amna lined up to read next and a nonfiction book about motherhood – the latter because I get tired of reading fiction. I miss the days when I had one autobiography after the other lined up. I think those are my favourite but the author's story has to be something relatable, even if slightly. Anyway, it's been difficult coming across titles I'd be interested in reading but I'm keeping an eye out.

Also, the month of Ramadan is starting tomorrow and I have hunger pangs already.

Comments