Bleep bloop


Did I mention we also rang in the new year with illness? If I did mention it, I want to do so again because I'm still suffering from it and it's not fun. I don't know, it's like they say back home, there's some kind of flu going around. (Day before) yesterday, I kept dry heaving and couldn't sleep all night. But I was lucky today (last night?). I can't keep up with time zones. Anyway, I think I'm doing better today even though my throat hurts. Just very glad to have had a full night's sleep.

Right now, I have three writing projects going on, one of which I started more than a decade ago, and a fourth that's about to begin. I keep leaving things unfinished. I remember how difficult it was to sit down with myself the last time I wrote something successfully. Writing can be so easy and so hard at the same time. But I have the proper tools now and a lack of excuses. I even have my own personal cheerleader! And a plethora of life experiences. But the thing I struggle with the most is, who would even be interested in reading about little me? Who am I even? Certainly not anyone noteworthy. Yes, it's exactly thoughts like those – stuffed to the brim with self-doubt – that keep anyone from doing anything worthwhile. Makes me think of something I read somewhere once: if you were the dearest friend you had, would you say all those mean things to them?

I want to make this yummy sounding recipe at some point this week. I've been thinking about soups (and having them!) all year (yep, that's a dad joke in there). Earlier, I learnt to make our own version of tom yum soup from my husband, made a huge pot of haleem and just some plain old chicken noodle soup. I was also lucky to frequent a neighborhood soup shop and try a fraction of their menu (hello, French onion soup and chicken chowder). Today is about some good old homemade pizza though. Let's see how it turns out this time – I really should be writing my recipes down but where's the fun in that?

Yesterday, I picked up Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye from the neighborhood library after finding out so much about it from her documentary. I very highly recommend it. I'm also taking a short break from The Mindy Project and watching something she wrote but doesn't act in: Four Weddings and a Funeral (non-spoiler alert: it's a terrible show and I don't recommend it). There are simply too many choices on TV these days which leave me watching nothing in most days. I miss the good old days of torrents where you had to think long and hard about what you wanted to watch before spending hours (and days!) downloading entire seasons and films.

*    *    *

And just like that, it's been a week since this post has been sitting in my drafts unfinished. But I'm going to put it out there anyway. It's such a grey day and weekend and this will add some color back in my life. What do you tend to do on grey days? I can't seem to get myself out of bed and was wondering whether I should start the new season of Ginny & Georgia because I'm so tired of seeing spoilers everywhere. At the same time, I don't want to watch TV and would rather do something more intellectually stimulating. Maybe I'll get on with my book.

Comments