As wide as an albatross’ wingspan

    

This is a sample sentence. I struggle so much with the blogger template and always wonder if there are still people managing this forsaken website. Anyway, it’s going to get really cold really soon and the husband wanted me to have a jacket of my own instead of stealing all of his so we browsed some online and I’ve got my fingers crossed that this time it’ll be the one because nothing has fit me like a glove so far. I am cold and I am desperate so send down something, insulated jacket gods.

I want to say last week was eventful but it was not (but I’m glad to say this). I borrowed two more books from the library and am reading a third which I already had and have been meaning to get to the end of for years. Fall has come and almost gone, the arrival of which was a bit stressful because everyone around us was doing what they call “fall activities” and we couldn’t care any less but felt pressured to catch up (spoiler: we never did catch up and are also glad for it).

Week upon week has been passing by blissfully in its own special uneventfulness — I often look back on the seven years I spent alone, sometimes barely living with others, and cannot believe it is all behind me. I did that and more, I remind myself. Time and time again, I was made to feel inadequate by very different groups of people and individuals but I persevered; ignorance really is bliss. What was I doing this time last year? Well, besides spending time with my parents and preparing for my wedding, I had recently resigned from a toxic workplace — I never told them why but I just couldn’t see myself getting more out of that… situationship than a professional opportunity. Some really terrible months, not days, were spent at that job. It was so tough, words fail me. Fast-forward to today: I’m sitting in my own bed and writing this at my own home while being unemployed. I could not have predicted I would be here today. I could not have predicted there would even be a today. What I did do back then was just this keeping calm and carrying on of things.

We’ve been talking a lot about how the most difficult things in life eventually pay off but I argue that in order to live a peaceful life, one mustn’t necessarily put themselves into tough situations. We absolutely can make mediocre choices and be happy, now more than ever. I love how the pandemic has proven that most people prefer living full lives and not boxing themselves up into this idea of perpetually climbing the corporate/professional ladder. I love that so many people quit. And it goes without saying that I’m cognizant of the groups of people who were unable to make any changes to their lives due to the nature of their jobs and while I don’t know much, I hope there has been some change for them too (read: frontline workers). What a time we’ve been through and what a world we live in.

Have I said it’s very cold and I don’t understand how the thermostat works? I don’t feel like cooking today but I’m glad we have plenty of leftovers, god bless. I’ve been informed this morning that this is a week of exclusively eating at home so I’m already planning a menu in my mind. Let’s see how that goes.

Comments