Maybe I'll do without it
Somewhere in this city is a person who has recently started over — for a third time. Their body is making its way through the day-to-day and getting accustomed to a new routine. Each day looks different from the other while it figures out a good fit. With anxiety being a barrier, even the simplest of things feel very difficult but they manage to get through to the end of the night. I really like how, as humans, we can keep tuning and fine-tuning ourselves at different stages in life. When you feel like everything is predictable and you know it all, it truly is time for a change.
I'm looking forward to summer cooling down just a notch so that I can comfortably step outside for something as mundane as grocery store trips. These days, that isn't possible without lathering a thick layer of sunscreen and switching between my sunglasses and regular glasses. Nobody ever told me how inconvenient sun protection is if you're bespectacled.
Today, I dealt with the maintenance guy by myself because the bathroom door lock was malfunctioning. It really took no time and I felt great afterwards. The ordeal made me think about how, growing up, it was always the men of the house who interacted with (other) handymen and how essential it is that every person be able to do this, regardless of gender — how big a waste of time to have to wait for a father, brother, spouse or other male family member to return from work just so you are able to have something fixed. I thank god for these basic freedoms every day.
On this side of the world, things look quite different. There is so much that I miss and so much that I don't but I have decided to remain grateful, always, through everything. Time has proven, over and over again, that circumstances never remain the same. That it's true that the only constant in life is change — and that's great news for us all. In the above-average human mind, there will remain this nagging voice that keeps nudging them to move onto another project, another step on the ladder, another exciting opportunity, and this is normal. But what should not be forgotten are the countless blessings one already holds and has worked so very hard for.
Oh, why does this sound like a letter to you? Maybe it is.
Comments