Birthday month


I've never been a birthday person. Frankly, the one day of the year where I want everyone to forget me is the day when all sorts of people crawl out of the woodwork to say they hope I have a wonderful day or year (depending on how much or less they love me). I have conceded defeat by now. I know I'm going to wake up on the very morning to a few run-off-the-mill text messages and step outside the house to see a few unnaturally happy faces too. What's the occasion? I always ask in my head.

This year, I've decided to make a bit of a big deal out of my birthday because... well, because who knew I'd make it so far? I've made some small travel plans, and my friends have also planned to take me out for an elaborate dinner. Something different always happens every year, whether I like it or not. I particularly remember the year two wonderful girls I know off the internet (who I have never met, by the way) sent me a birthday cake. I remember all those birthdays when another friend (also off the internet and one I've never met) sent me little presents too. I remember two years ago, when my then-supervisor showed up at my doorstep bearing a big bouquet of roses in every colour imaginable. I've always been lucky in this regard, without ever having asked for it.

I reflect upon my past regularly but I also spend a lot of time thinking ahead. With age—and slightly more wisdom—I've developed a habit of creating contingency plans in my mind. I've grown to realise, and learn, that life absolutely cannot be taken so casually and one must always find purpose in whatever one does. And if a purpose or meaning cannot be found... then there's simply a bit of re-thinking to do.

When I was younger, I wish someone had told me what a crucial role education plays in the long run of this very short life. I'm grateful that I had half the mind to choose to keep going forward with it even though I didn't really know how important it was going to be. On my birthday this year, I just want other girls and women, especially those who are younger, to know there are times when one just has to be brave and make some tough choices but that those tough choices always play out for the best. In lesser cryptic words, independence should be aimed for because it's truly high time we took our narratives into our own hands. You really don't want to be someone who doesn't get to tell their own story.

And privilege. Privilege is a powerful tool that can—and must—be extended to the lesser privileged around us, even in the smallest of ways.

Comments