Dear whoever you are.



Dear whoever you are,
I shall write you clandestine letters
And pretend
That you are my lover — and I
Yours.

Brewing tea for two
I shall pretend
You are to come to me after a long day
And curl up on the sofa
And wait for you
And when it gets late
I shall drink two cups of tea
The third — on the stove.

We could write imaginary sonnets
With soap suds,
In the kitchen sink.

"I am yours while I last,"
Says my bowl of alphabet soup to me
I digress, and tear old newspapers
To create a papier-mâché airplane
For our child
Who plays with my noodle hair
In the meanwhile.

Your humble treehouse
Could be our home —
I will bring my plastic teaset along
And we shall live together
Till the skies go red
And stars fall out like the pearls
From my mother's necklace once did,
When I broke it.

~ Tazeen Razi

Comments

Monica Moonface said…
Sunshine on le Crimson Sky! *twirls*
Kashaf A. said…
It is totally beautfiul and relatable. Wish i could write like you. *copies it in her notebook*
Anonymous said…
@Monica: *takes your hands and twirls around with you* Alhamdulillah!

@Kashaf: You are adoribbible. I'm flattered.
Adeena said…
Really sweet! Love it.

www.oblivionwithwords.blogspot.com
Eddie said…
its beautifully written. :)
Anonymous said…
@ Adeena and Eddie: Thanks a bunch! :)
Anonymous said…
Landed here after quite a long time. And refreshing as it always it like a whiff of fresh air. :)
Anonymous said…
@Ajay: Thank you so much, Ajay! :)
A said…
This is beautiful!!!
Maryam said…
I missed your poetry *hugs*