All the light that we can see

I've never been a glass half empty kind of person. Yes, I have tried for the heck of it and failed. Something good in everything I see, as the ABBA lyric goes. That's why I'm not surprised that the song still manages to tear me up, after all these years––I was 10 when I first heard it during a school event. I'm particularly thinking about this right now because the glass has lately been feeling like it's not half full, like I could do with just a little more (or a lot more, if I'm honest with myself). What's the old adage? When something's not going right, go wrong. And going wrong, I've been.

Winter is here, cold as always, and I can confirm this because even when I shelter indoors, my hands get intensely dry. There's also our favorite visitor, SAD, who tends to always arrive with pomp and circumstance. I'm tired. I'm so tired. I can't be rosy anymore, I even started crying on a recent phone call with a friend. It's just that bad this year and I'm equally appalled by the intensity. And of course it's going to be alright but it's feels terrible right now and I'm going to sit, eat and sleep with that feeling for weeks until it washes over and away.

*    *    *

That was last week. Or the week before. As is the case with this blog, I can't really tell when I last wrote whatever I wrote because these things usually sit in my drafts for weeks or months until I confront them again. Anyway. I've been better and my glass is half full again. And I'm remembering to breathe and hold onto little things that bring me great joy. Such as the toddler-sized apron I'm currently making for my daughter. Or the fact that I managed to replace my sewing machine's broken needle myself and didn't procrastinate for too long. And news upon news, I'm officially on my second aligner as of today. Of course there's more that's not coming to mind right now but whenever it does, you will hear it from here first.

There's an email sitting in my drafts that I need to finish before the year ends. I've put it on hold for six long months and I should finally get to it.

Comments