Recipe for a rainy day


Rice, oatmeal, pears, apples, avocados, bananas, sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots, green beans, turnips, mangoes, lentils, ghee and cinnamon. These are all the things I've fed my daughter so far. I could be forgetting something, I can't recall what else. I want to give her more vegetables––fruits are naturally a favorite but shouldn't be everything she consumes in a day (I think). It's alright though, it's all trial and error here and I'm not aiming for perfection.

We're home alone tonight. My husband's out bouldering and I wanted a few moments of peace. Baby's asleep and tea and dinner have been had. I can unclench my jaw and relax my shoulders but I just learnt that the sweater I so lovingly bought recently was actually the wrong shade of pink and not the one I really really wanted. And returning these things is such a hassle so I think I'll keep it. And I think I want the other color too, plus two more. In my big old age, I've grown comfortable buying multiples of garments I like, in different colors, because things that feel good are not easy to come by and it's okay to wear the same type of clothes frequently, nobody's judging anybody. What was the last item I bought in this fashion? Extra high-waisted active trousers in cinnamon, navy and khaki and yes I wear them everyday.

So, my aging wrists and feet hurt. I was gifted new slip-on shoes recently. I think I should aim for a hand brace next. Hah. I've been drinking my milk and eating my vitamins though so it should be okay. I need to workout everyday––occasionally is not cutting it. Sometimes you can just feel it in your body, this need to move. I'm waiting for the weather to "open up" as we say in Urdu. Mausam khul jana. So that I can go out without making so many preparations as to which layers to wear and what extras to keep for the baby. What a thing it is to be able to even say this, a privilege really. Not much makes sense these days.

Are you still reading this? I could just fall asleep and wake up next month.

Comments