Warm in the winter

    

Lately I've been wondering why my glasses are always so dirty and I finally figured it out today: my husband keeps touching my cheeks. I know you're reading this so please stop. I like my cold cheeks and I like not having acne as well, thank you very much. And to the rest of you, a big hello. I feel like this place is having a moment because my stats tell me so. We have people from Germany and Norway and India and Australia – I don't know who you are and I'd much rather it stays that way but welcome. I hope you like your brief stay because I don't do long-term guests.

I painted my nails (a nice red) after weeks today. I've been keeping them clean and letting my cuticles breathe because I noticed all the paint was making them dry. Today felt different, and I had time, so. I also looked for a coffee cake recipe spontaneously and then started craving it – so I went and baked all five (or however many) pounds of it, and I made the icing too. It ended up tasting pretty good and I was really impressed. I told the husband I wish I had a me in my life too. What a wonderful life it would have been.

*    *    *

As is custom, it's been a couple of days since I started writing this and never found the time to wrap it up. I reckoned that if I could make the time to look at old photographs of us and find myself in tears of laughter, I could sit still for a moment and get through this too. It's not like I have a problem getting through things (update: it's now been a week and I haven't finished this post). This morning, I read this longform essay on "reversing" autism – rather controversial but has me borderline convinced. And I set out to cook three things before a deadline and managed it all rather nicely. I guess I should pick up my book next and read at least one chapter tonight – didn't I long for days when I could this?

So. Just a couple of weeks left until the year ends, then? How has it been for you? I can't say mine has been one thing or another but it's been a lot for sure. I think I wrote about that recently, and if I didn't I'm probably thinking of that one unfortunate draft I scrapped last week. I want to say I'm looking forward to next year because the possibilities seem endless but to be honest, I look forward to every morning because my possibilities always start in the present. Although I can't believe it's been a whole year since I was last back home-home. Usually the months and years fly away without a moment's notice but I've had plenty of time to notice things lately.

Anyway, if you came here to read something meaningful and mystic, this isn't it, but thanks nonetheless.

Comments