Great timing, by the way

If you wait long enough, a good thing can turn bad very easily. And upon meeting the same person again, your opinion of them can change really really quickly. Sometimes people just give themselves away too soon and it’s a pity.

Last week, after having socialized much more than I usually do, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m doing really well on my own. I need some quiet time, to learn and to reflect, I decided. Other people cause too much noise and create unwelcome distractions. I know that some people are energized after meeting others, like-minded or not, but I’m certainly not one of them. The more I think, the more perplexed I feel about people who can say and believe just about anything you present their way, with absolutely no critical depth. Yes, counter argue — but not falsely! And in no way without any first-hand experience! My god. For all it’s worth, we learn with every meeting, with nature, with man, with instances, with mistakes.

I’m about to finish Lucy and I couldn’t be happier with a recommendation.

The look on my face must have shocked her, for she said, “You are a very angry person, aren’t you?” and her voice was filled with alarm and pity. Perhaps I should have said something reassuring; perhaps I should have denied it. But I did not. I said, “Of course I am. What do you expect?” — Jamaica Kincaid, Lucy

*    *    *

Fall has arrived, so far, with no fanfare and more cold than I’d imagine — but I’m not complaining. True to my word, I have been reading more than I’ve done in recent times, albeit not voraciously (yet). It started with the cookbooks but now I’ve hit pause on them and am trying to read more books on the intersectionality of gender, race and class. I also picked up Ferrante’s latest novel The Lying Life of Adults from the public library, which I’m very excited about. It helps very much that we also got our own bookshelf this week so now I have an overview of all the books I own and need to read before I can purchase another one of my own.

What else? I haven’t cooked anything too special in a while but might later today. The grey weather drags me down a little. Someone might come to take a look at out faulty oven next week and I cannot wait for it to be fixed. Colder climates call for more baking and less cooking. I miss the convenience of a good old casserole and always having some cake to go with my evening tea. I think I’m doing pretty good with the time that has been bestowed to me but do believe I could do better. The brain is a muscle that needs the most exercise.

How about you? What have you been up to? Have you been kind to yourself or pinning bad things on the vague cruelty of life? I feel like some spring cleaning for the mind is in order. Now I’m just talking to myself.

Comments

The Me. said…
I've been reading more too. About to finish Mohsin Hamid's 'The last white man'.
I can't wait for winter to begin.

Hmmm. Maybe you need to meet the right kind of people. The ones who will, in fact energize you. I met up with an old friend yesterday and boy was it refreshing!
TR said…
@The Me.: Winter has begun here and I couldn’t be happier.

Also, I agree with you — I do need to meet people who’ll energize me. They’re so hard to find, glad you had a lovely meeting with your friend yesterday <3