A Ramadan Miracle

 

     

It snowed here overnight and we called it a Ramzan miracle. Naturally, I couldn't be more excited and despite fasting sans sehri due to sheer laziness, I laced up my snow boots and headed out early in the morning to take in fresh air and call dad to show him some live footage. I had to go for a grocery run anyway so that I don't starve myself next time. The photo of the left is from last year, by the way. What we experienced today was actually the first snow in over a year, and it really did take us by surprise because April is usually warm — which is totally was until this week!

Fasting is a strange experience when you're doing it alone. It's not... festive. Or charming. You're basically hungry and counting the hours down. You ration your motivation to get you through the day. Sure, you feel victorious if you've successfully made it to iftar. But then, your entire day has gone by and it's nightfall. But I'm trying this year, as much as I can manage. I hope that tomorrow's going to be better and I'll spend less time in bed. To make it easier for myself, I've prepared sehri hours in advance so I don't have to leave my room to cook at four in the morning.

Today I read somewhere that one must question why they're fasting. I think, for myself, it provides an opportunity to self-reflect and do better. For instance, a couple of annoying people reached out today and I was oddly patient? Sure, I'd rather not hear from them but I liked that I was in another zone to care too much about them. Maybe that's not one of the best lessons this month but for me, it was nice. I understand I sound completely snobby but what gives. God forgive me, and Ramzan mubarak!

Comments