16/05/2020


I was out with a friend last week, talking to her about how odd it is that I've been to this certain place four years earlier, never knowing that it would be where I would end up eventually. When we imagine "moving out" as young people not bound by other commitments, we think of the prettiest places in the world. Well, this is where the wheel of fortune stopped for me. I like it, and even though it's still quite far away from where I want to be, it's a very good first step.

I often find myself thinking about how I'm living someone else's dream — that there are younger women out there, looking towards people like myself, wishing for what we have. But everything has a price.

Anyway, I make it sounded bleaker than it is.

I found myself thinking about friendships today, accepting the fact that even though I was not as lucky as most to have gotten the chance to get to know the people I love much better than I do, I am still quite blessed in that I even have friends/acquaintances at all and that I keep meeting really nice people. I was about to say "great" but let's be honest to ourselves now. Last year, I wanted more female friendships for myself and I was lucky enough to get that. This year, I wanted more desi friendships — to be able to learn about my roots from people like me, to be able to learn beyond what we have known, and to open my mind to uncomfortable truths.

I think that the most important thing in life is to keep learning.

Comments