Discourse.


Last night,
I experienced the urge
To shoot myself through the temple,
To shoot myself through the roof of my mouth,
To shoot myself through the back of my head,
And I want you to know
I could not breathe and I will not breathe
Because sometimes, my oxygen levels go so low
And I sit up in bed with my head in my hands;
A punctured soccer ball that cannot be played with.

I say what I mean and how I mean and there are no
Read-between-the-line lines or
Decipher-this phrases (okay, sometimes)
And that is because I want you to know
You make me forget in a way that is most welcome
The good, the bad, the past and future
‘Til all there’s left is but “now” —
And my heart slams against my rib cage and
I believe I’m alive once more.

We are at the onset of war
And when the time comes, you will see me
In the ranks — pale-faced, wide-eyed woman
And you may not be there
Because your duty to your family calls
But I want you to know:
I am not afraid of dying — and when they come for me,
Jeering faces, muddy hands, in the dark,
I will tell them I died when I was twelve
And I knew what people were all about —
No surprises there, sir, shoot me —
But despite that, I will remember you
Because you made me forget.

I want you to know
It is not love that binds the ocean and the shore,
That the shore hugs the ocean regardless of how it leaves
Because it is tied —
But I am not tied down to you
And neither are you to me
Although, if Eden exists, I wish to see
You in there before myself
Because you made me forget.

There were around two million civilian deaths in Vietnam
800,000 during the Rwandan Genocide —
In just a hundred days, they say,
And it was 1994 — and we were the children
Playing the backyard
And I want you to know that General Tommy Franks
Might not do body counts — but I do
And a handful of thousands have been droned down:
And we exclude Hiroshima and Nagasaki so I go back
And add 70,000 people —
Including weaning infants
(And I don’t forget the abused in Guantanamo Bay).

I forget — I forget a lot of things —
But I want you to know
I am not very smart although I learn quick
And I might not be as privileged as you
For I was raised in adversity
And how this is not a clarification
But a confrontation —
You saw me! You saw me — you saw through me
And I knew I was visible
And that thought alone
Is great enough a companion
On my journey to
 my six-foot deep haven.

Comments

Asad Ullah said…
We all forget lots of things that deserves our attention the most. Nice attempt to shake our minds and cold hearts.